Sunday, November 6, 2011

Where it all began

My boyfriend had no idea what he was in for.

One day in early September I was browsing an Oriental Trading magazine and decided that a Halloween party would be fun.  As an only child with a creative mother, I had experienced many elaborate themed birthday parties in my life (think live clue game, an indoor carnival, and super sloppy double dare), and this would be the first themed party I would host myself.

I noticed that the items in OT fell into a few popular groups; witches, vampires, and mad scientists.  When I described my vision for these three possibilities, my boyfriend was in favor of the mad scientist's laboratory.  I took that decision and ran with it.  Details were continually added and refined over the weeks that followed, and now that the party is a happy memory, several people having been asking for pictures and details on how it was done. This blog is the result of those requests, and my desire to share what I've learned with others.

Almost a full 2 months before Halloween I was searching for images of laboratories, mad scientist costumes, and evil experiments to get my mind wrapped around the general feel of the party.  While I don't care for the effect of those plastic scenes you can put over your walls, I did find them to be a good starting point for the details of a mad scientist lab.  

These are the sites that got me started:
Oriental Trading's Mad Scientist Room
Suggestions to build your own mad scientist lab

No comments:

Post a Comment